Caldicot

Caldicot Castle

Founded in the 11th century, Caldicot Castle has strong links to Henry V and Agincourt. The castle was the ancestral home of the de Bohuns, Henry’s maternal family. His grandmother Joan was still alive at the time of the Battle, while his first cousin Anne was married to nobleman Sir William Bourchier, who played his own role in the Agincourt story.

Sir William Bourchier

Sir William provided a force of 102 men for Henry’s campaign to France and was a close ally of the King. Following the battle, William was appointed Constable of the Tower of London, with responsibility for guarding the French prisoners captured during the campaign. He was even promised one of the King’s best horses in Henry’s will. William died in 1420 and is thought to have been buried at Llanthony Secunda Priory, Gloucestershire.

Fighting men

Sir William’s men formed part of a Welsh contingent of 500 archers and 23 men-at-arms who joined Henry’s forces for the campaign in France. The men-at-arms were clad in armour and rode horses, though they were also able to fight on foot. The archers – who famously played a decisive role in the Battle – were equipped with longbows and carried around 60 arrows each. They were expected to be able to loose at least 10 arrows a minute, though the best archers were capable of shooting many more.